APEBC AGM + Keynote Speaker: The Condo/Single Family Spread, Policy, and COVID
The relative price movements of single family versus condo homes in greater Vancouver tell a reasonably coherent story concerning demand and policy. Single family prices led the 2014-2016 boom, with condo catching up sharply after policy interventions such as the foreign buyer, empty homes, and additional school taxes, matching price movements in other North American cities. COVID sharply reversed the trend back towards single family, again matching patterns elsewhere.
Please note that the keynote speaker will be presenting from 12:00-1:15 pm PT. The Annual General Meeting will follow, and this portion of the event is open to APEBC members only.
Tom Davidoff is an associate professor in the Real Estate and Strategy and Business Economics groups at the Sauder School of Business, UBC. Prior to joining UBC, Davidoff obtained degrees from Harvard, Princeton, and MIT, and worked in real estate development in Brooklyn and as an assistant professor at UC Berkeley. While at UBC, Davidoff has advised the White House on housing and mortgage policy, and worked with two startup real estate intelligence companies. Davidoff’s research on aging, insurance, housing, and public policy has been published in leading journals in finance, real estate, and economics.
Public Attendee List
- Eric Vance - Eric Vance & Associates
- Marisela Barajas-Rodriguez - B-United Consulting Group Ltd
- Kenneth White - Acton White Associates Inc.
- Mark Szekely - Columbia Pacific Consulting
- Christopher Kuchciak - Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Susan Mowbray - MNP
- Ryan Biln - CREA
- Ivy Ruan - Central 1 Credit Union
- Zohra Jamasi - Financial Accountability Office
- Iglika Ivanova - Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives
- Bradley Krause - Western Community College
- Benjamin Dachis - Mr.
- Almos Tassonyi - School of Public Policy, University of Calgary
- Dmitry Sorokin - personal
- Diana Petramala - Centre for Urban Research and Land Development, Ryerson University
- Timothy Gensey - CMHC-SCHL
- Daljit Dhadwal - Industry Training Authority of British Columbia
- J. MacGregor Taylor - J. M. Taylor Ltd.
- Antonia Prlic - BC Financial Services Authority