TD Economics provides analysis and forecasts of economic and financial trends for TD Bank Group and its clients. Research covers the global economy with a focus on Canada and the United States, including both national and state and provincial economies, as well as the outlook for interest rates, exchange rates, major industries and government finances. In addition to baseline economic forecasting, scenario development for stress testing and risk assessment are critical components within TD Economics’ mandate.
The Economist role – located in downtown Toronto – supports research and forecasting activities within TD Economics. The position requires excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills as well as a strong technical and theoretical background in macroeconomics and empirical analysis.
Candidates who apply should possess at least 1-3 years of previous relevant work experience. Those individuals with significantly more experience (5+ years) will be considered at a senior level.
- Timely research on economic developments and current events. This research will help to inform internal and external clients as well as risk identification and model development activities across the department.
- Present forecasts and analysis to TD Bank’s business units and clients, with an ability to communicate complex concepts in an intuitive manner.
Knowledge Requirements/ Education:
- MA or PhD in the field of Economics
- Good understanding of current economic developments/trends and key risks
- At a minimum, 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience in macroeconomic modeling and statistical software
- Knowledge of financial markets and stress testing is an asset
Other Personal Skills/Attributes:
- Proactive thought leader with diverse research capabilities/adaptability
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to complete research projects quickly and with limited oversight
- Demonstrate leadership, with a capacity to mentor/coach others
- Continuous learner – at the forefront of knowledge of economic theory and application
- Creative and passionate about applied economics; a self-starter in terms of proposing and conducting studies of interest and relevance
- Highly interpersonal and credible; an engaging personality who comes across well during discussions, presentations, and media interviews
- Possesses integrity and maintains high ethical standards
- Consultative nature with outstanding customer service focus; a high sense of urgency and customer sensitivity
- Sound business and financial service acumen; able to understand and translate how economic issues can strategically impact the business
- A reliable and resourceful team player who is comfortable interacting and communicating across the organization with senior level clients
- Confident decision-maker; the incumbent must have confidence to state and where necessary, defend, their position on issues after thorough and rigorous analysis
Senior Economist Skills/Attributes:
- In order to qualify as a Senior Economist, the individual will meet the requirements above and have significant work experience
- Must have the capacity to mentor/coach others and have aptitude for manager/leadership skills
- Senior Economists are also expected to be able to work independently, initiating research projects on a wide array of subjects and completing them with limited oversight
Please send all applications to:
Only selected candidates will be contacted.