This is a permanent opportunity to join a high-performing team of economists at the Ministry of Transportation in the Ontario Public Service. The Economics and Methodologies Office, System Optimization Policy Branch has exciting work that brings together technical expertise and leadership skills. We support decisions on a wide variety of transportation projects and issues using economics theory and modelling, data, and quantitative analysis.
Are you interested in putting economics into practice at the Ministry of Transportation? Are you interested in developing or enhancing technical skills in performance measurement, data analytics, and economics including economic cost-benefit analysis? If you enjoy conducting and leading teamwork that helps solve policy challenges and designs and applies methods to ensure that intended results are achieved, this opportunity is for you.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a strong team leader, you will:
- Coordinate and support the economic analysis and research to support the Ministry’s broad strategic framework for provincial transportation systems
- Anticipate and identify emerging economic, statistical and modelling issues impacting government direction and policy development
- Lead and coordinate teams conducting major, concurrent, economic, statistical and modelling research
- Lead discussions and negotiations with a variety of internal clients on technical analysis and associated timelines in support of achieving Ministry’s goals
- Articulate clear, persuasive recommendations, and summarize next steps
- Maintain effective relationships with the academic and applied quantitative research community, officials, counterparts and stakeholders
- Coordinate monitoring and evaluation activities
- Develop proposals, contribute to Cabinet submissions and respond to complex and sensitive policy issues
- Provide advice and feedback on transportation economics issues and analysis
How do I qualify?
Economic Theory and Analysis Expertise
- You have extensive and deep knowledge of economic theory, economic modelling, applied statistics, principles and practices, multi-modal transportation theory and modelling and project/policy assessment methods
- You have demonstrated knowledge of quantitative research, data modelling, and data management methods and techniques
- You have demonstrated abilities with applications to complete monitoring and evaluation including the design of performance metrics and statistical analysis (such as statistics applications and relational databases) including advanced proficiency in setting up, using, and verifying spreadsheets
Leadership and Project Management Skills
- You have proven abilities to coordinate concurrent projects including setting direction and meeting deliverables
- You have proven abilities to provide project direction, technical guidance and feedback to a team
Communication and Consultation Skills
- You have proven negotiation, persuasion and consultation skills to seek and obtain support from stakeholders and partners to advance initiatives
- You have demonstrated communication skills including strong presentation skills to provide expert advice and recommendations to stakeholders and senior officials
- You have strong interpersonal and tact skills to establish partnerships, negotiate agreements and resolve conflicting interests
- You have advanced knowledge of business computer applications to prepare reports, presentations, and correspondence
- You have knowledge of computer operation and statistical and database software applications to conduct econometric and other statistical analysis and create and manage large datasets
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/
Salary Range: $80,595.00 – $117,142.00 Per Year
- 1 Permanent, 438 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
- Less qualified applicants may be considered on an underfill basis.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Wednesday, August 10, 2022, by visiting http://www.ontario.ca/careers, and entering Job ID 184619 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.